Antineoplaston is a term coined to decribe certain peptide chains and/or amino acid derivatives. One such antineoplaston A-10 (3-phenylacetylamino-2,6-piperidinedione) is reported to be hydrolysed to phenylactylglutamine and phenylacetylisoglutamine and another antineoplaston AS2-1 has been studied as the sodium salts of phenylacetylglutamine and phenylacetic acid  . Some have been studied as potential treatments for malignancy  although historically their role has been unproven.  A 1999 report of a small (n=9) phase II trial, for example, found the treatment to cause signficant side effects, but provided no evidence of efficacy.  The overall level of evidence for antineoplastons as a treatment for cancer is inconclusive according to the USA National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society. The main - possibly the only - place offering this unproven treatment is the Burzynski clinic in Texas.
- ↑ Tsuda H, Iemura A, Sata M, Uchida M, Yamana K, Hara H. Inhibitory effect of antineoplaston A10 and AS2-1 on human hepatocellular carcinoma. The Kurume medical journal. 1996; 43(2):137-47.
- ↑ Tsuda H, Sata M, Kumabe T, Uchida M, Hara H. The preventive effect of antineoplaston AS2-1 on HCC recurrence. Oncology reports. 2003 Mar-Apr; 10(2):391-7.
- ↑ Burzynski SR, Weaver RA, Lewy RI, Janicki TJ, Jurida GF, Szymkowski BG, Khan MI, Bestak M. Phase II study of antineoplaston A10 and AS2-1 in children with recurrent and progressive multicentric glioma : a preliminary report. Drugs in R&D. 2004; 5(6):315-26.
- ↑ Green S. 'Antineoplastons'. An unproved cancer therapy. JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. 1992 Jun 3; 267(21):2924-8.
- ↑ Buckner JC, Malkin MG, Reed E, Cascino TL, Reid JM, Ames MM, Tong WP, Lim S, Figg WD. Phase II study of antineoplastons A10 (NSC 648539) and AS2-1 (NSC 620261) in patients with recurrent glioma. Mayo Clinic proceedings. Mayo Clinic. 1999 Feb; 74(2):137-45.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Overall Level of Evidence for Antineoplastons National Cancer Institute Accessed 10 Dec 2011
- ↑ American Cancer Society. Find and Support Treatment: Antineoplaston Therapy. Last revised 1 November 2008. Last viewed 28 December 2011.