Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System® (BI-RADS®). Method of categorising breast lesions based on the imaging, used mainly outside the UK. Can be used as part of the breast triple assessment.
The system was produced under the auspices of the American College of Radiologists with collaboration with several other organisations.
The categories are broadly similar for mammography, ultrasound and MRI:
- Category 0
- Need Additional Imaging Evaluation
- Category 1
- Category 2
- Benign finding(s)
- Category 3
- Probably benign (short interval follow-up recommended)
- Category 4
- Suspicious Abnormality (biopsy should be considered)
- Category 5
- Highly Suggestive of Malignancy (appropriate action should be taken)
- Category 6
- Known Biopsy-Proven Malignancy (appropriate action should be taken)