Permament abnormal dilation of large and medium bronchi as a result of infection and inflammation. Usually (relatively pointlessly) classified as:
Attributable to large airway injury and remodeling due to recurrent or chronic inflammation and infection
- Bronchial obstruction
- Gastric aspiration
- Fibrotic lung disease
- Chronic systemic disease
- Excessive immune response
- Inadequate immune response
- Macrolide antibiotics i.e. azithromycin thrice weekly for its anti-inflammatory effect
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Sputum clearance techniques
This article is a stub. Please feel free to expand it and make it more encyclopaedic.
- ten Hacken NH, Wijkstra PJ, Kerstjens HA. Treatment of bronchiectasis in adults. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2007 Nov 24; 335(7629):1089-93.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Dodd JD, Souza CA, Müller NL. Conventional high-resolution CT versus helical high-resolution MDCT in the detection of bronchiectasis. AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 2006 Aug; 187(2):414-20.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Morrissey BM, Evans SJ. Severe bronchiectasis. Clinical reviews in allergy & immunology. 2003 Dec; 25(3):233-47.
- ↑ Notarangelo LD, Plebani A, Mazzolari E, Soresina A, Bondioni MP. Genetic causes of bronchiectasis: primary immune deficiencies and the lung. Respiration; international review of thoracic diseases. 2007; 74(3):264-75.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Parr DG, Guest PG, Reynolds JH, Dowson LJ, Stockley RA. The Prevalence and Impact of Bronchiectasis in Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. . 2007 Sep 13.(Epub ahead of print) (Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Metafratzi ZM, Georgiadis AN, Ioannidou CV, Alamanos Y, Vassiliou MP, Zikou AK, Raptis G, Drosos AA, Efremidis SC. Pulmonary involvement in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Scandinavian journal of rheumatology. 2007 Sep-Oct; 36(5):338-44.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Berman DM, Mafut D, Djokic B, Scott G, Mitchell C. Risk factors for the development of bronchiectasis in HIV-infected children. Pediatric pulmonology. 2007 Oct; 42(10):871-5.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Garrod R, Lasserson T. Role of physiotherapy in the management of chronic lung diseases: An overview of systematic reviews. Respiratory medicine. 2007 Dec; 101(12):2429-36.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Stephen T, Thankachen R, Madhu AP, Neelakantan N, Shukla V, Korula RJ. Surgical results in bronchiectasis: analysis of 149 patients. Asian cardiovascular & thoracic annals. 2007 Aug; 15(4):290-6.
- ↑ Eren S, Esme H, Avci A. Risk factors affecting outcome and morbidity in the surgical management of bronchiectasis. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 2007 Aug; 134(2):392-8.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)