The term care home was defined legally about 2000 , to cover what were previously known as residential homes and nursing homes.
For the purposes of this Act, an establishment is a care home if it provides accommodation, together with nursing or personal care, for any of the following persons.
- They are-
- persons who are or have been ill;
- persons who have or have had a mental disorder;
- persons who are disabled or infirm;
- persons who are or have been dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- But an establishment is not a care home if it is-
- a hospital;
- an independent clinic; or
- a children's home,
or if it is of a description excepted by regulations. Crown ©