Other Names, such as IUPAC Name
EC:184.108.40.206, apopain, cysteine protease CPP32, yama protein, SREBP cleavage activity 1, CASP-3, CPP-32, SCA-1
Important Issues in Man
Relevant Clinical Literature
Wikipedia on Caspase-3 (Less technical, ? quality control)
- S-nitrosylation of its catalytic site cysteine in unstimulated cells
- Denitrosylated upon activation of the extrinsic apoptotic pathway (see apoptotic pathways)
- This pathway also activates caspase-3 after an interaction between cytochrome c and interacts with apoptotic protease-activating factor 1 and caspase-9 after stimulation by either tumor necrosis factor ligand superfamily member 6 (FAS ligand) or stimulation by tumour necrosis factor alpha or interleukin-1.
Its own enzymatic activation functions include:
- Proteolytic cleavage of Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase 1 at a '216-Asp-|-Gly-217' bond.
- Cleavage at the carboxyl termini of the cyclin A-associated cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1 and cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1B
- SREBPs such as sterol regulatory element-binding protein 1 with cleavage between the basic helix-loop-helix leucine zipper domain and the membrane attachment domain.
- Caspase-6, caspase-7 and caspase-9.
- Huntingtin protein