"The science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through organised efforts of society." (Sir Donald Acheson)
Public health is concerned with the promotion and protection of health, and the interplay between economics and health care.
Health protection is a branch of public health which is chiefly concerned with protection from harm from communicable diseases and non-infectious environmental hazards, such as toxins and radiation. In England many public health practitioners are employed by the Health Protection Agency. Other administrations have different arrangements.
This article is a work in progress. Please feel free to contribute to it.
The main science of public health is epidemiology.
The Faculty of Public Health (FPH) is the standard setting body for Public Health specialists in the UK. FPH is a Faculty of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United kingdom and has a membership of over 3000. It was formerly known as the Faculty of Public Health Medicine and before that as the Faculty of Community Medicine, and membership was restricted to medical practitioners. Near the end of the 20th century it opened its membership to disciplines other than medicine.
Public health resources on the Internet
- Faculty of Public Health, of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom
- Public health (workforce} development website
- United Kingdom Public Health Association
- The Association of UK Public Health Observatories
- Public Health Development Resource Unit (for information on training and development in public health)
- On line UK public health textbook
- Public health electronic library (a branch library of the national electronic library for health
- Peter English's exam revision notes circa 1997.
- American public health association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia
- Public Healthy.com Information on Public Health training, practice and research in the UK from the perspective of a Specialist Registrar. Includes information on health protection, prison health and flu pandemic planning
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
Pages in category "Public health"
The following 82 pages are in this category, out of 82 total.
Media in category "Public health"
This category contains only the following file.