Psychological factors were emphasised prior to the launch of Sildenafil. Since then a view of mixed physical and psychological factors has been more widely held. The principal physical factor is the lumen of the penile arteries. As would be expected, smokers and those with atherosclerosis elsewhere tend to suffer, and coronary artery insufficiency tends to follow penile arterial insufficiency by a few years.
- Clinical Evidence rate Intracavernosal alprostadil, Intraurethral alprostadil (in men who had responded to a single test dose), Sildenafil, and Yohimbine as being ‘Beneficial’. It rated Topical alprostadil as being a ‘Trade off between benefits and harms ’Clinical Evidence.
- Bandolier section on erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
- BASHH/Erectile Dysfunction Alliance guideline.
- NLH Q&A Service published in 2007 a list of recent guidelines. (Archived)
- NLH Q&A Service. The role of testosterone in erectile dysfunction. (Archived)
- eMedicine chapter.
- ↑ Eardley, I. Optimisation of PDE5 Inhibitor Therapy in Men with Erectile Dysfunction: Converting "Non-Responders" into "Responders". European Urology, Vol. 50, July 2006, pp. 31-33, , pp. 126-133,pp. 134-40.