Failed medical wikis
We think GANFYD was the first dedicated medical wiki, but others have certainly copied the concept. There is no question that GANFYD is an information experiment that is likely to have a finite life time, but at this time we continue better than some. In an effort to learn from history we note here a few failed medical Wikis:
- DUNK Medipaedia
- This source had restricted access (to members of a doctors internet community, that indeed many of the users of GANFYD belong(ed) to)
- It was not based around the mediawiki software engine
- Content became the property of DUNK
- At one time the owners of DNUK (founded 1998) and GANFYD founders had discussions around DUNK hosting GANFYD
- DUNK was sold by its founders to the Tokyo listed M3 corporation in August 2011
- in November 2012 DUNK announced that Medical Image Library, eCases and Medipaedia will be removed from the website in January 2013
- This was launched on 17 February 2009.
- It used modified heavily modified mediawiki software with multiple features not present on GANFYD or AskDrWiki
- It's initial article number, based on content donated by a number of medical institutions was greater than both
- It was abruptly discontinued in early 2013 having required investment of the order of US$ millions apparently
- This was created in 2006 and discontinued in 2013 by the owner and main contributor.