(Redirected from G6PD)
Common Name:Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase
Alternative Name:Glucose-6-phosphate 1-dehydrogenase G6PD
Other Names, such as IUPAC Name
Biological Information (GenomeNet) on Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and some on Glucose-6-phosphate 1-dehydrogenase G6PD
Important Issues in Man
Relevant Clinical Literature
Wikipedia on Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (Less technical, ? quality control)
- Catalyses first step in the pentose phosphate pathway thus allowing glucose 6-phosphate utilization and the pentose-phosphate shunt.
- Major role in allowing NADPH production to maintain intracellular reducing environment with glutathione metabolism
- Cause of commonest enzyme related disease glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
- Coded for at Xq28 with 13 exons and 12 introns
- Exists as dimers and tetramers
This article is a work in progress. Please feel free to contribute to it.