From Ganfyd

Jump to: navigation, search

Intensivists are doctors who work in Intensive Care (also known as critical care). Although the specialty originally evolved from anaesthesia, intensivists now come from a range of backgrounds. In the UK intensive care is practised as a subspecialty of a range of parent specialities including anaesthesia, emergency medicine, nephrology and respiratory medicine, although there are growing numbers of full time intensivists.

In Australasia and Canada it is a separate specialty, although it often retains strong links to anaesthesia, emergency medicine and the internal medicine specialties. Within intensive care there may be further specialisation into general, cardiac and neurological intensivists.

Paediatric intensive care is staffed by paediatricians and paediatric anaesthetists.

Personal tools