A macrocyclic lactone that interferes with γ-aminobutyric acid neurotransmission in invertebrates. There is wide clinical experience in moderate dose in onchocerciasis but it has evidence as an effective agent at various dose regimes in a wide range of parasitic invertebrate infections.
The drug was derived from one of the multiple avermectins first isolated from the soil bacteria (Streptomyces avermitilis) obtained from a Japanese golf course. William C Campbell and Satoshi Omura were recipients of the 2015 Nobel prize for this work.
- Cutaneous larva migrans
- Lymphatic filariasis
- Head lice
Cautions and Interactions
Ivermectin is a nonselective inhibitor of mammalian P-type ATPases at high concentrations which raises the possibility of digitalis type effects which may be important as newer indications tend to use higher doses.
- ↑ a b Gloeckner C, Garner AL, Mersha F, Oksov Y, Tricoche N, Eubanks LM, Lustigman S, Kaufmann GF, Janda KD. Repositioning of an existing drug for the neglected tropical disease Onchocerciasis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2010 Feb 23; 107(8):3424-9.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Munirathinam A, Sunish IP, Rajendran R, Tyagi BK. Impact of ivermectin drug combinations on Pediculus humanus capitis infestation in primary schoolchildren of south Indian rural villages. International journal of dermatology. 2009 Nov; 48(11):1201-5.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Currie BJ, McCarthy JS. Permethrin and ivermectin for scabies. The New England journal of medicine. 2010 Feb 25; 362(8):717-25.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Mounsey KE, Holt DC, McCarthy JS, Currie BJ, Walton SF. Longitudinal evidence of increasing in vitro tolerance of scabies mites to ivermectin in scabies-endemic communities. Archives of dermatology. 2009 Jul; 145(7):840-1.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Pimenta PH, Silva CL, Noël F. Ivermectin is a nonselective inhibitor of mammalian P-type ATPases. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's archives of pharmacology. 2010 Feb; 381(2):147-52.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)