Also known as c-kit or KIT receptor. Transmembrane signalling protein with tyrosine kinase activity. Receptor for cytokine stem cell factor (mast cell growth factor).
It is present in normal tissues including:
- haematopoeitic precursors
- mast cells
- interstitial cells of Cajal
- germ cells
Abnormal staining can be found in:
- "kit positive" gastrointestinal stromal tumours
- certain haematopoietic malignancies, e.g. chronic myeloid leukaemia
- germ cell tumours, esp. seminoma
Most variants can be inhibited with Imatinib.