In man :
The gene LDHA (PIG19) codes for L-lactate dehydrogenase A chain (LDH muscle subunit, renal carcinoma antigen NY-REN-59, cell proliferation-inducing gene 19 protein, LDH-M LDH-A, EC:22.214.171.124)
- Defects cause glycogen storage disease type 11 (GSD11)
- Modulated by hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-1α
The gene LDHB codes for L-lactate dehydrogenase B chain (LDH heart subunit, renal carcinoma antigen NY-REN-46, LDH-H, LDH-B, EC:126.96.36.199)
- Defects cause of hereditary LDHB deficiency which is usually asymptomatic
The gene LDHC codes for L-lactate dehydrogenase C chain (LDH testis subunit, cancer/testis antigen 32, EC:188.8.131.52, LDH-C, LDH-X, CT32)
- Expressed in sperm
The gene LDHD codes for a 507 amino acid peptide believed to be mitochondrial D-lactate dehydrogenase (Lactate dehydrogenase D, DLD, EC:184.108.40.206)
- Two isoforms
- Expressed moderately in heart and liver and at lower levels in skeletal muscle and kidney.
- Catalyses (R)-lactate + 2 ferricytochrome c <=> pyruvate + 2 ferrocytochrome c.
The gene LDHAL6A(LDHL2) codes for a testis-specific 332 amino acid peptide with lactate dehydrogenase A-like properties
The gene LDHAL6B (LDHAL6, LDHL) codes for a adult testis-specific 381 amino acid peptide with lactate dehydrogenase A-like properties