Web information on Lidocaine
Metabolism & Interactions
Metabolised by various liver pathways; CYP2D6
Mechanism of Action
Amide local anaesthetic
Relevant Clinical Literature
Please read pharmacological data limitations
Medpedia on Lidocaine (Less technical, good quality control)
Wikipedia on Lidocaine (Less technical, ? quality control)
Lidocaine (lignocaine) is used in local anaesthesia
- As anti-arrhythmic only.
- Present guidance suggests 100mg (1.0-1.5mg/kg) for refractory ventricular fibrillation/pulseless VT where amiodarone is not available. A further 50mg can be given, but the 3mg/kg limit should not be exceeded.
- 4% solution
- Spray, typically 10mg per squirt, for pharyngeal and laryngeal anaesthesia
- Gel, e.g. Instillagel®
- As a patch, e.g. Lidoderm®, for painful conditions like Varicella zoster.
- Usually at a concentration of 0.5-2%.
- Maximum dose 3mg/kg, 5-7mg/kg if adrenaline present (see Local anaesthesia)