Web Resources for Narcotic
Relevant Clinical Literature
Medpedia on Narcotic (Less technical, good quality control)
Wikipedia on Narcotic (Less technical, ? quality control)
See opioids for the pharmacological background and classification but narcotics are drugs recognised as scheduled narcotics independent of their status as opioids.
- 1868 Pharmacy Act in UK required opium and all preparations of opium or of poppies to not be sold without being labeled poison. This proved to be remarkably successful due to the self interest of self regulated Pharmacists in an orderly market compared to non-British (empire) experience where more restrictive legislation had to be formulated when matters caused social issues
- 1874 Anglo-Oriental Society for the Suppression of the Opium Trade formed. An early patron was the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 1876 America - first local anti-opium ordinance
- 1909 International Opium Commission met in Shanghai, China as result of opium trade and growing addiction problems in the Far East and in the colonial powers.
- 1912 International Opium Convention, signed at The Hague on January 23, 1912, was the first international drug control treaty.
- 1919 Incorporated in Treaty of Versailles.
- 1925 Agreement concerning the Suppression of the Manufacture of, Internal Trade in, and Use of, Prepared Opium
- 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.
- 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances
- 1988 United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.