Important Issues in Man
Relevant Clinical Literature
Wikipedia on Opsin-1 (Less technical, ? quality control)
Actually separate opsin pigment photoreceptor proteins found in different cone cells:
- Red-sensitive opsin (Opsin 1 long-wave-sensitive) coded for by OPN1LW gene at Xq28
- Mutations cause protan (red) series colour blindness (protanopia) but this is very complex as there is a gene array of closely related proteins, even if common in males.
- Opsin 1 medium-wave-sensitive (green-senstive opsin) coded for by OPN1MW gene at Xq28
- Mutations cause deutan (green) series colour blindness (deuteranopia). This is very complex as there is a gene array of closely related proteins at Xq28, so is quite common in males.
- Opsin 1 short-wave-sensitive (blue-senstive opsin) coded for by the OPN1SW gene at 7q31.3-q32.
- Mutations cause tritanopia with deficiencies in blue and yellow vision.