- Reduce peripheral insulin resistence
The nature of the licensing process based of surrogate outcomes means that there are still information gaps that mean the clinical risk benefit ratio is not fully understood. This also applies to any other medication that has entered the diabetic market in the last 10 years. By the middle of 2011 sufficient evidence of an association with bladder cancer had arisen that national regulators started withdrawing marketing authorization.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Obese with polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Prevention of progression of glucose intolerance 
- HIV-1 lipoatrophy
- Renal failure
- Heart failure
Cautions and Interactions
Class side effects
- Bladder cancer in long term use
- ↑ a b Risque de cancer de la vessie chez les personnes diabétiques traitées par pioglitazone en France : une étude de cohorte sur les données du SNIIRAM et du PMSI Caisse nationale de l’assurance maladie, Paris, France. Rapport final du 7/06/2011 accessed 10 June 2011
- ↑ Update on ongoing European review of pioglitazone–containing medicines EMEA accessed 10 June 2011