(Redirected from Sweet syndrome)
Web Resources for Sweet's syndrome
Relevant Clinical Literature
Medpedia on Sweet's syndrome (Less technical, good quality control)
Wikipedia on Sweet's syndrome (Less technical, ? quality control)
Sweet's syndrome (Sweet syndrome, acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis) was first described by Sweet in 1964
- Characterised by:
- An acute neutrophilic dermatosis accompanied by pyrexia.
- Debilitating well defined red or plum plaques or nodules. They may be pustular.
- Aetiology is often unknown, but in such cases it is possible that the syndrome is due to a hypersensitivity reaction leading to cytokine-mediated neutrophil activation and infiltration as it can be induced by G-CSF.
Usually encountered in three main patient groups:
- Those with malignancy (tumour-related or paraneoplastic)
- Those on medication (drug-induced)
- Those with no obvious cause (idiopathic or 'classic')