Telbivudine is an antiviral.
- Chronic hepatitis B in adult patients with:
- Compensated liver disease
- Evidence of viral replication
- Persistently elevated serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT)
- Histological evidence of acute inflammation and/or fibrosis
It is one of three antivirals, lamivudine, tenofovir and telbivudine that have evidence of safety and effectiveness in reducing hepatitis B load in pregnancy . It appears to reduce vertical transmission in pregnancy.
Oral 600mg od
Cautions and Interactions
- ↑ Yogeswaran K, Fung SK. Chronic hepatitis B in pregnancy: unique challenges and opportunities. The Korean journal of hepatology. 2011 Mar; 17(1):1-8.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Hana G, Caob M, Zhaoc W, Jianga H, Wanga C, Baia S, Yuea X, Wanga G, Tanga X, Zhi-Xunc F.A prospective and open-label study for the efficacy and safety of telbivudine in pregnancy for the prevention of perinatal transmission of hepatitis B virus infection. J Hepatol 2011 doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2011.02.032