Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- Outcomes are favourable in those not fit for standard surgery up to 2 years.
- One year survival of 80% in early series but the best European registry is closer to 95.8% at 30 days
European registry data has shown marked difference in mortality between countries that is unexplained . The mortality rate appears to be higher in countries where the procedure is more popular per head of population. This observation would be consistent with either more use outside evidence base or more transapical use, and indeed some countries with higher mortality have more use of apical TAVIs. As of 2012 the cost effectiveness is unclear.
- ↑ Reynolds MR, Magnuson EA, Wang K, Thourani VH, Williams M, Zajarias A, Rihal CS, Brown DL, Smith CR, Leon MB, Cohen DJ. Health-Related Quality of Life After Transcatheter or Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in High-Risk Patients With Severe Aortic Stenosis: Results From the PARTNER (Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valve) Trial (Cohort A). Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012 Aug 7; 60(6):548-58.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Stähli BE, Bünzli R, Grünenfelder J, Bühler I, Felix C, Bettex D, Biaggi P, Tanner FC, Nguyen-Kim DL, Plass A, Ge H, Falk V, Lüscher TF, Corti R, Maier W, Altwegg LA. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) outcome according to standardized endpoint definitions by the valve academic research consortium (VARC). The Journal of invasive cardiology. 2011 Aug; 23(8):307-12.
- ↑ Kodali SK, Williams MR, Smith CR, Svensson LG, Webb JG, Makkar RR, Fontana GP, Dewey TM, Thourani VH, Pichard AD, Fischbein M, Szeto WY, Lim S, Greason KL, Teirstein PS, Malaisrie SC, Douglas PS, Hahn RT, Whisenant B, Zajarias A, Wang D, Akin JJ, Anderson WN, Leon MB. Two-year outcomes after transcatheter or surgical aortic-valve replacement. The New England journal of medicine. 2012 May 3; 366(18):1686-95.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Makkar RR, Fontana GP, Jilaihawi H, Kapadia S, Pichard AD, Douglas PS, Thourani VH, Babaliaros VC, Webb JG, Herrmann HC, Bavaria JE, Kodali S, Brown DL, Bowers B, Dewey TM, Svensson LG, Tuzcu M, Moses JW, Williams MR, Siegel RJ, Akin JJ, Anderson WN, Pocock S, Smith CR, Leon MB. Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement for inoperable severe aortic stenosis. The New England journal of medicine. 2012 May 3; 366(18):1696-704.(Link to article – subscription may be required.)
- ↑ Giugliano GR, Lotfi AS. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation: comparing apples to apples. The Journal of invasive cardiology. 2011 Aug; 23(8):313-5.
- ↑ a b Messori, A, Fadda V, Maratea D, Trippoli S. Governing innovative medical devices: the case of transcatheter aortic valves. BMJ 2011
- ↑ Van Brabandt H, Neyt M, Hulstaert F. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI): risky and costly. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2012; 345:e4710.(Epub)