Type 2 diabetes
The major polygenetic and environmentally modulated form of diabetes mellitus
- Older individuals but now beginning to present in younger patients due to dietary excess
- Presentation is polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia, and are usually overweight.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis does not occur
- All races especially Pima indians, polynesians, African, Asians.
- Insulin resistance i.e. Insulin is present but for various reasons its effectiveness is diminished
- Patients are treated by weight reduction, exercises, diet and medications. Some cases may require Insulin.
- Insulin is not vital but can improve control and reduce complications long term